Why Settle For Less?

Following America's Funnies from Alley Oop to Ziggy.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Reuben Awards

So, in about 30 seconds today, I kind of answered my own question about the Reuben Awards. Here is the National Cartoonist Society's site on the topic. One of the fascinating things that I'm going to have to take more time to check out is the members list where many famous cartoonists have written and illustrated short autobibilographical blurbs.

The 2004 awards were only handed out this last May so I have a long wait for the 2005 awards. Also I notice that awards are given out for more than just cartooning. Someone received the Greeting Card award, another the Comic Book award. This is interesting: someone won the Oustanding Advertising Illustration award. I figured there could be a whole awards show dedicated to Advertising.

Brad Bird won for feature animation which is odd because that's not really cartooning; I mean he directed The Incredibles, a computer animated movie. Oh well, I liked that movie so much that I wished he earned more awards for it. Also I'm noticing that they distinguish between Cartoonist of the Year and Outstanding Newspaper Strip which seems odd to me since all the nominees for both categories are cartoonists that draw newspspaer comics.

Oh and this is exciting. I just discovered a new cool comic strip in my seach through the nominees. Dan Coverly writes a one panel strip called Speed Bump whose three strips I have found so far have made me laugh. Here's the first one I found. I'm off now to see if his strips appear on either comics.com or ucomics.com.

1 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Michael Witmer said...

Hey, THIS IS NOT SPAM...I found your blog through a matching profile item so please read:

I see you're a comic strip fan. I hate to sorta whore my comic strip out but if you're at all interested, I am a self-syndicated cartoonist from the east coast. If you're at all interested in checking out my strip, its called 44 Union Avenue and it can be found at: http://www.comicssherpa.com/site/feature?uc_comic=cslpx

Your blog is very well written. I'll be back

 

Post a Comment

<< Home